Wednesday, April 8, 2009

And I think it's gonna be a long, long time

I think I have a chemical imbalance that affects the way my unconscious processes music. Or something. Because I always, always, always have a completely random song playing in my head. For example, here's the last 12 hours of my life, as heard through my subconscious jukebox:

11:46pm: That weird and creepy carnival theme that accompanies carousels and clowns
8:33am: "Little Lover's So Polite," Silversun Pickups
10:15am: "Ride of the Valkyries," Richard Wagner
10:40am: "Let it Snow," traditional (note: it's snowing outside. On April 8.)
11:24am: "Rocketman," David Bowie

Other than "Let it Snow," which accompanied a freak hour-long snowstorm that just flitted past my window here in midtown, I have no idea where any of this stuff comes from. I mean, I haven't even heard "Rocketman" for at least a year. Frankly, the percentage of time that I spend with random Christmas carols stuck in my head is just frightening. And it's April.

It occurs to me that maybe I should be paranoid about anxiety of influence issues. Maybe every song I ever wrote is really just someone else's song playing quietly in the background.

No comments:

Post a Comment